HOW TO BECOME A COMPETITIVE APPLICANT?
Perform very well in all Pre-Requisite Courses (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics)
Score very well on the new 2015 MCATs (80th-90th percentile)
Obtain up to Five Letters of Recommendation from faculty/staff who know you well and can speak highly of your work ethic and desire to pursue physician, surgeon, doctor, etc.
Have nearly 1000 hours of patient clinical experience from volunteer or medical opportunities
Plan out your 4 year or extended plan for classes & studying – and apply on time!
Be well rounded and show passion in non-medical opportunities shaped around community and leadership!
Create a unique personal statement which speaks clearly of your passion to pursue physician, surgeon, doctor, etc. This personal statement should easily distinguish you from another applicant.
Practice proper interview skills and techniques.
Engage in academic research & clinical science!
Seek the right counselors and mentors to keep you on track, motivated, and ready to become a doctor.
The application process can be pretty tricky. University Doctor has all the info you need to get you started! Find the useful resource below to get you along your way into the Medical School of your choice. Be sure to contact one of our University Doctor Faculty/Counselor to help you every step of the way!
Complete undergraduate coursework to include the following prerequisite courses:
- One year of biology, physics, English, general chemistry, organic chemistry
- Detailed list of course requirements for each program found here: Medical School Admissions Requirements database
Explore opportunities to gain practical experience in health professions such as through volunteer work in hospitals or clinics.
Draft personal statement, consider the following questions (AMCAS PS prompt):
- Why have you selected the field of medicine?
- What motivates you to learn more about medicine?
- What do you want medical schools to know about you that hasn’t been disclosed in other sections of the application?
Request official copies of transcripts to be sent to you to aid you in filling out transcript entry portion of AMCAS application
Contact potential letter writers
- Determine what types of letter writers (faculty, physicians) are required for each specific program
- Confirm the individual is willing to provide a letter of reference
- Provide them with description of program you are applying to, copy of your CV & personal statement
- Discuss AMCAS deadline date with evaluator
Create American Medical College Application System (AMCAS) account
Complete application through American Medical College Application System (AMCAS)
- Program specific deadlines found here: https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/participating-medical-schools-deadlines/
Complete biography, coursework, standardized test score (MCAT), experience (employment, extracurricular, research, volunteer), achievement section
Request transcripts be sent to AMCAS from all schools attended
Upload letters of recommendation into AMCAS
- Create letter entry which describes the type of letter to be forwarded to AMCAS (Committee Letter, Letter Packet, or Individual Letter), fill out appropriate descriptors
- Generate and print or email Letter Request Form to letter author to accompany their letter when they are uploaded into the AMCAS system.
Designate programs to apply to
Input personal statement
- It is recommended to use a word processing program and then copying and pasting statement into text box.
Input standardized test scores (MCAT)
Submit application fee
Print and REVIEW application for any errors or omissions
Having any trouble with the above? We can give you the academic prescription you need to be a competitive applicant. With our team of medical coaches & admissions experts, we are able to increase your clinical experience, academic planning, scores, and LOR’s.
It is never too late for anyone. There are numerous alternatives to medical schools and paths that will allow you to still become a medical doctor. Whether it is international medical programs, or seeking a competitive post-bacc, we will get you there!