HOW TO BECOME A COMPETITIVE APPLICANT?
Perform very well in all Pre-Requisite Courses (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics)
Score very well on the DATs (80th-90th percentile)
Obtain up to Five Letters of Recommendation from faculty/staff who know you well and can speak highly of your work ethic and desire to pursue dentistry.
Have nearly 1000 hours of patient clinical experience from volunteer or medical opportunities related to patient care or dentistry.
Plan out your 4 year or extended plan for classes & studying – and apply on time!
Be well rounded and show passion in non-medical opportunities shaped around community and leadership!
Create a unique personal statement which speaks clearly of your passion to pursue dentistry. This personal statement should easily distinguish you from another applicant.
Practice proper interview skills and techniques.
Engage in academic research & clinical science!
Seek the right counselors and mentors to keep you on track, motivated, and ready to become a Dentist.
The application process can be pretty tricky. University Doctor has all the info you need to get you started! Find the useful resource below to get you along your way into the Medical School of your choice. Be sure to contact one of our University Doctor Faculty/Counselor to help you every step of the way!
Complete undergraduate coursework to include the following prerequisite courses:
- 8 hours of Biology, Physics, English, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry
- Detailed list of requirements for each program found here: http://www.ada.org/en/coda/find-a-program
Explore opportunities to gain practical experience in dental professions such as through volunteer work in clinics.
Draft personal statement explaining why you want to pursue a dental career
Request official copies of transcripts to be sent to you to aid you in filling out transcript entry portion of ADEA AADSAS application
Contact potential letter writers
- Determine what types of letter writers (faculty, dentists) are required for each specific program
- Confirm the individual is willing to provide a letter of reference
- Provide them with description of programs you are applying to, copy of your CV & personal statement
- Discuss deadline date with evaluator
Register for DENTPIN
Complete application through American Dental Education Association Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (ADEA AADSAS)
- Program specific deadlines found here: http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Applicants/GeneralInstructions/Pages/ADEAAADSASSupplementalInformation.aspx
Complete biography, coursework, experience (employment, extracurricular, research, volunteer), achievements, standardized test score (DAT) section
Request official transcripts be sent to ADEA AADSAS
- Print Transcript Matching Form, located in ADEA AADSAS application and send to all colleges you have attended
Upload letters of recommendation into ADEA AADSAS, via two formats:
- Electronic (preferred)
- As soon as the evaluator’s name and email address are provided on ADEA AADSAS, the evaluator will receive an email directing him or her to the ADEA AADSAS Evaluator’s Portal.
- The applicant provides the Letter of Evaluation Request Form to the evaluator, who attaches the form to his or her letter and mails it to ADEA AADSAS at the address provided on the Letter of Evaluation Request Form.
Designate programs to apply to
Input personal statement
- It is recommended to use a word processing program and then copying and pasting statement into text box.
Submit application fee
Print and REVIEW application for any errors or omissions
Having any trouble with the above? We can give you the academic prescription you need to be a competitive applicant. With our team of medical coaches & admissions experts, we are able to increase your clinical experience, academic planning, scores, and LOR’s.
It is never too late for anyone. There are numerous alternatives to medical schools and paths that will allow you to still become a medical doctor. Whether it is international medical programs, or seeking a competitive post-bacc, we will get you there!